The Violet D. Ruelokke Award has been established for the purpose of strengthening nursing leadership capacity in primary health care (PHC). Applications will be accepted from registered nurses pursuing studies or participating in an event that aims to develop/strengthen knowledge and skill for primary health care practice, such as:
- population health,
- strengthening community capacity,
- interdisciplinary collaborative practice,
- program development,
- research and evaluation,
- proposal writing, etc.
Applications will be accepted from Registered Nurses working in any practice setting or employment position. Applications are accepted for any of the following:
- enrolment full-time or part-time in an educational program that strengthens the nurse's knowledge and skill for PHC practice,
- present PHC research at a conference, or
- complete a non-credit PHC focused program.
Value: $500 or $1000
April 15th for conferences/programs/events between January 1st and June 30th of the current year.
October 15th for conferences/programs/events between July 1st and December 31st of the current year.
- Funding decisions for the Spring competition will be made in early-mid May. The Fall funding decisions will be made in mid-late November.
- Applicants will be notified whether or not their application is successful. Notifications will be sent via email using the address provided in your application. Please be sure to provide an email address that you check regularly.
- If your application is successful, the Trust will reimburse the amount of your bursary after you submit the required documentation.
- Bursary amounts may be adjusted based on the confirmation of your expenses.
- Due to an increase in the number applications, we are no longer able to respond to individual requests for information regarding the status of an application.
Applications are accepted from Registered Nurses who:
- are employed in nursing in NL,
- are enrolled in an education program/event that is relevant to strengthening nursing leadership capacity in primary health care practice,
- are members in good standing with ARNNL, and
- are members of the ARNNL Education & Research Trust.
- All ARNNL members with a current practicing license are members of the Trust. ARNNL members with a current non-practicing membership can become members of the Trust by paying the $10 Trust membership fee.
- Preference will be given to applications from current practicing members.
How to Apply
Members completing non-credit contniuing education (e.g., post-basic course, diploma, certificate, conference/workshop, etc.) must complete the Violet Ruelokke Primary Health Care Award Application Form.
Please review the Violet Ruelokke Application Requirements document before you begin the application.
If you are completing a graduate program (e.g., MN-NP, Post-Master's NP, PhD), please complete the Graduate Nursing Scholarship Application (available in the Fall competition only).
Late applications will not be considered.
For members enrolled in non-credit continuing education, you will be required to submit supporting documentation in order to claim your bursary (e.g., receipts, proof of enrolment/attendance, etc.). Please ensure you retain copies of relevant documents.
For members enrolled in graduate programs, please see the Graduate Scholarships Application Requirements for supporting documentation requirements.
The Trust Awards Committee will rank the applicants on the basis of the following criteria (in order):
- personal statement,
- reference, and
- financial need (as determined by whether the applicant has received funding from other sources; personal financial information is not used).
Please see the Tips & FAQs page for answers to frequently asked questions and advice on completing your application. If the information you require is not listed there, please use the Online Contact Form to send us your question.