On behalf of the public, CRNNL advocates for a number of public policy platforms. Some examples include:
- Participation in the public regional forums in advance of the Premier's Summit on Health Care.
- Endorsment of the Canadian Nurses Association's (CNA) Canada’s Top 5 in 5. The National Expert Commission, established by CNA in 2011, was tasked with generating policy solutions that support transformation of Canada’s publicly funded, not-for-profit health system. Through research and consultation, they identified nine calls to action to transform the health care system, the first of which is to ensure that Canada ranks in the top five nations for five key health outcomes.
- Participation in the Healthcare Roundtable with the Official Opposition of NL.
- Continued support of breastfeeding: a published letter to the editor from Regina Coady, ARNNL's President, during National Breastfeeding Week 2014; ARNNL conducted a survey on the uptake of recommendations in the ARNNL document Registered Nurses’ Role in Promoting Breastfeeding (2011); endorsed the Newfoundland and Labrador Public Health Association’s Position Statement on Breastfeeding and WHO/UNICEF Baby-Friendly Initiative; and continued as a member of Baby-Friendly, NL, a coalition supporting breastfeeding within the province.
- Supported a coalition letter to Minister of Health and Community Services against flavoured tobacco products.
- Participation in the Canadian Institute for Health Research/Newfoundland and Labrador Centre for Applied Health Research/Department of Health and Community Services Best Brains Exchange on community-based service models for seniors. During this exchange, ARNNL was able to share the nursing professions’ views on the importance of a primary health care approach to senior’s care with the deputy minister, government bureaucrats and stakeholder representatives.
ARNNL’s policy agenda is regularly shared with the Minister of Health and Community Services and provincial and federal elected officials, and each year we participate in the Provincial Government’s Pre-Budget Consultations.
ARNNL partners with CNA, and works with groups such as the Provincial Wellness Advisory Council, Newfoundland and Labrador Public Health Association, Canadian Mental Health Association Newfoundland and Labrador, Injury Prevention Coalition, Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association, Newfoundland and Labrador Alliance for the Control of Tobacco and other organizations to advance the health and well-being of our population.
The below archived docments are as follows:
- All-Terrain Vehicles and Health and Safety (2005)
- Child Passenger Safety in Newfoundland and Labrador (2005)
- Healthy Eating and Active Living in School Settings: Taking Action to Address Obesity in Children and Youth (2005)
- Mandatory Bicycle Helmet Use in Newfoundland and Labrador (2005)
Visit ARNNL's Document Library to view our listing of Public Policy Documents.