RNs are responsible and accountable to ensure their nursing practice is safe, competent, compassionate and ethical. Professional practice issues arise where an RN’s ability to provide care or services consistent with standards of practice, ethical codes, or policies is, or is potentially, compromised.
There are many resources available to assist you in resolving professional practice issues, such as
- Standards of Practice for Registered Nurses,
- Standards for Nurse Practitioner Practice in Newfoundland and Labrador,
- Code of Ethics for Registered Nurses (2017),
- RN’s Professional Duty to Address Unsafe and Unethical Situations,
- Scope of Nursing Practice: Definition, Decision-Making, & Delegation,
as well as other ARNNL documents that provide direction or clarification regarding RN practice available in ARNNL's Document Library.
ARNNL consultants are also available to assist RNs and NPs to address professional practice issues.