Newfoundland and Labrador Registration No. 15453
In the matter of a Complaint against Judy Freake, Association of Registered Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador, Registration # 15453 (the “Registrant”), an Adjudication Tribunal, in a Decision dated March 27, 2015, found the Registrant guilty of conduct deserving of sanction under the Registered Nurses Act (2008), sections 18(c)(i) professional misconduct; and 18(c)(v) acting in breach of the Code of Ethics in that the Registrant:
- intentionally struck a patient’s face in an inappropriate manner without the patient’s consent; and
- did not follow ethical standards set out in the Code of Ethics
Pursuant to section 28(3) of the Registered Nurses Act (2008) the Adjudication Tribunal accepted a Joint Submission on Penalty and in a Decision dated September 1, 2015, ordered:
1. The Registrant’s license to practice nursing shall be suspended pending her successful completion of the following:
i. Health Care Interactive Dementia Care Course;
ii. Canadian Nurses Association Code of Ethics for Registered Nurses; and
iii. College of Nurses Of Ontario “One is One too Many”.
2. A meeting with a Nursing Consultant – Policy and Practice Consultant, ARNNL to reflect on her conduct and learning.
3. The Registrant shall pay ARNNL 50% of costs incurred in the investigation and hearing of the Complaint.
The conduct deserving of sanction occurred on or about September 4, 2013 while the Registrant practiced as a registered nurse at the Central Newfoundland Regional Health Centre, Grand Falls–Windsor, Newfoundland and Labrador. The Complainant was Central Health.